Assistant Director Camp and YouthAt Camp JCC -Raleigh-Cary
The Raleigh-Cary JCC enriches the Jewish community by playing an integral, meaningful role in the lives of individuals, families, groups and institutions through cultural, recreational, social and educational programs and activities. Our programs connect people, create engaging environments and foster friendship at every stage of life. Camp JCC provides opportunities for campers, families, and staff to connect and grow through summer experiences that are created through a Jewish lens allowing connection to Jewish values, traditions and a love for the State of Israel. The Raleigh-Cary area is a modern, vibrant and sophisticated city. Newcomers to Raleigh-Cary will find a comfortable cost of living, low crime rate, temperate climate and natural beauty. A strong public education system, world-class health and medical services, as well as top level performing and cultural arts institutions and a wide range of recreational options make Raleigh-Cary an attractive area. Raleigh-Cary has six Jewish congregations spanning Orthodox, Conservative, Reform and Renewal movements and BBYO.
The Assistant Camp & Youth Director for the Raleigh-Cary JCC is part of a dynamic and experienced team. The primary responsibilities of this position include growing existing camp and youth programs, developing new initiatives, coordinating resources and managing program budgets. You will be expected to provide hands-on direct service in addition to coordinating management of the programs, supplies, and staff within the job responsibilities.
• Assume leadership of camp in absence of Camp Director
• Partner with the Camp Director during preparation and breakdown of camp as well as with daily execution of plans during the camp season.
• Plan all ‘theme days’ and other unique programming for each summer.
• Partner with the Camp Director in planning all off-site travel for summer camp travel program.
• Supervise summer specialist and provide support with programming planning.
• Manage and order all supplies pertaining to summer camp programming. This includes pre-camp and post-camp inventory of supplies.
• Promote a positive environment that fosters fun, safety, and camp's values
• Assist in vision, organization, & implementation of camp program and new camp initiatives in partnership with camp leadership.
• Partner with the Camp Director in interviewing and hiring summer staff.
• Assist in leading American Camp Association accreditation plan for summer 2023.
• Ensure the safety, growth, and inclusion of campers and staff.
• Resolve conflicts drawing on camp values, policies, and procedures.
• Plan, lead and facilitate staff training and motivate and direct staff throughout the summer.
• Work with program team to ensure all trips, special events, specialty areas, camp calendar, open houses, and any other events are planned in a timely fashion, supported and staffed.
• Problem solve issues in the operation of camp activities and/or programs as they arise.
• Partner with the Camp Director in communication with parents and guardians.
• Develop and implement strategies for summer camp staff and camper retention during offseason. Includes reunions, annual staff gift, and other year-round events.
• Create new programs that engage the camp and/or general JCC community.
• Role model Jewish values in programming, communication, and connection with members, campers, families, and coworkers.
• Lead ‘Schools Out-J’s In’ school break and teacher workday camps based on local public school calendar. Includes planning program content, hiring and supervising staff, supply ordering and set-up, as well as necessary communication and marketing.
• Participate in JCC programs including PJ Library programs, Holiday events, JCC membership events, and connect with coworkers in other departments at the JCC and able to assist them if/when needed. Must be available with sufficient notice, to attend events on evenings and weekends both during the camp season and offseason.
• Represent JCC, Camp JCC and the Jewish Federation of Raleigh-Cary at community-wide events. Must be available with sufficient notice, to attend events on evenings and weekends both during the camp season and offseason.
• Create working relationships with local Jewish preschools, religious schools, congregations, and other Jewish organizations.
• Perform any other reasonable duties as directed by the Camp Director for the successful operation of the camp.
• Bachelor's degree in education, recreation or other related fields
• Excellent interpersonal (relationship development) and communication skills
• Experience with program management and implementation
• Experience developing Judaic programming is a plus but not required
• Must demonstrate the aptitude and willingness to be a visible and active team player
• Strong critical and creative thinking skills
• Ability to hire, train, and supervise staff
• Strong organizational and computer skills
• Mature disposition, creativity, outgoing and energetic personality
• 3-5 years' experience in camping as a leadership team staff member
• Ability to work evenings and weekends, and overnights as needed
• Knowledge of Jewish Holidays and customs
• Background in informal Jewish education is a plus but not required
• Knowledge and understanding issues of youth growth and development
• Highly organized, attentive to detail and ability to work independently; a self-starter
• Prior experience managing supplies and inventory is a plus
• Sense of humor and serious interest in having fun
This position is classified as exempt. The Jewish Community Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). Work to job completion, evenings and weekends required. This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive, and the employee will also perform other responsibilities related to business duties as assigned. The Raleigh-Cary JCC reserves the right to revise or change job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
How to ApplyTo apply for this position, email Beth Richman, Camp JCC Director, a resume and a cover letter: firstname.lastname@example.org
Camp JCC -Raleigh-Cary
Assistant Director Camp and Youth
12804 Norwood Road, RALEIGH, NC, 27613, United States