Associate Summer Camp DirectorAt Camp Solomon Schechter
Camp Solomon Schechter is seeking an energetic and self-motivated camp professional for the Associate Summer Camp Director position, who is interested in quickly moving into the Summer Camp Director role within a year once they get to know CSS and demonstrate a love of Jewish summer camp and all it has to offer. This position will report to the Executive Director and will help him ensure the mission and vision of the summer camp program, as defined by the Board of Directors, is successfully achieved through the development, implementation, supervision, and evaluation of assigned core responsibilities.
CSS has a 67-year tradition of fun, friendship, and Jewish education in the Pacific Northwest. We value each child as an individual and strive to support their social and spiritual growth. Our campers have the opportunity to be independent in a safe and nurturing environment. We encourage every camper to try something new, make new friends, make good choices, and grow as leaders and as individuals. CSS is a fully immersive, welcoming, and spiritual Jewish environment.
• Year-round leadership, administration, and oversight of the summer camp program operations;
• Camper retention and recruitment;
• Summer camp staff recruitment, training, and supervision;
• Program development;
• Summer camp budget development and monitoring in conjunction with the Executive Director and Director of Operations; and
• Summer camp marketing and public relations management in conjunction with the Executive Director and Director of Development.
Qualities Sought in the Associate Summer Camp Director:
Jewish summer camp is a unique and exciting experience. The Associate Summer Camp Director will be able to:
• Provide ongoing charismatic and dynamic support and leadership to colleagues, camp staff, and lay leadership, serving as a Jewish role model for all;
• Participate in summer sessions to establish strong relationships with campers and staff (This includes living at camp for the duration of the summer.);
• Work under pressure, take direction from the Executive Director, and work unaided on time-sensitive projects;
• Support and maintain a high level of customer service to camp families, while ensuring adherence to camp values and goals and ACA Accreditation; and
• Identify and provide solutions to complex issues and concerns in a professional manner, including conflict management with parents and/or campers, offering creative and flexible approaches to problem-solving.
Responsibilities of the Associate Summer Camp Director
The Associate Summer Camp Director assists the Executive Director, who is currently also the Summer Camp Director, to oversee all aspects of summer camp operations:
• Develop, monitor, and, as warranted, modify short and long term strategic goals for the growth and development of summer camp, working and communicating with the CSS Board of Directors, staff, and the larger community to ensure continuity of programming to best achieve the organizational mission.
• Ensure program development and implementation facilitates camp’s presence at the forefront of the community through feedback from camp families and staff.
• Plan, coordinate, oversee, implement, and evaluate all aspects of summer camp service. This includes, but is not limited to, recruitment of campers and staff, program development (including educational components), sales and marketing, staff training (pre-camp and in-camp), and coordination with site managers, food service personnel, and maintenance.
• Hire, mentor/supervise, and, as necessary, terminate summer camp staff in a manner consistent with camp values. Supervision will include ongoing feedback and incorporate formal evaluations.
• Develop and monitor the summer camp marketing and recruitment plan to meet camper enrollment and retention goals, in conjunction with updates from and to the Executive Director and the CSS Board of Directors.
• Oversee all special needs of campers and summer staff, including transportation, medical, psycho-social, and spiritual.
• Ensure procurement of all required supplies for all aspects of summer camp.
• Interface with relevant agencies for required certifications or accreditations.
• Manage volunteer activities during summer sessions.
RequirementsQualifications of the Associate Summer Camp Director • Minimum B.A. from an accredited college or university, with M.A. or above preferred; • Minimum 7 years of experience in directing youth programs and/or camps in a day or overnight setting; • Knowledge of program development and educational methodologies, with a specific understanding of camp programming; • Knowledge and commitment to Jewish traditions and customs; • Knowledge and commitment to “best practices” in the camping field; • Strong communication skills, both verbal and written; • Experience in financial management and budgeting; and • Have passport and be willing to travel between the Pacific Northwest communities within Canada and the United States, along with occasional travel to Israel.
How to ApplyThis position is full-time (salary is competitive, DOE) with benefits (vision, dental, health, sick, and vacation). Please submit your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only those whose applications are being considered will be contacted. Camp Solomon Schechter is an equal opportunity employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, gender, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, age, political ideology, national or ethnic origin, disability, actual or perceived medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Camp Solomon Schechter
Associate Summer Camp Director
117 East Louisa Street, #110, Seattle, WA, 98102, United States