Camp DirectorAt Louis S. Wolk JCC of Greater Rochester
Louis S. Wolk JCC of Greater Rochester
Camp Seneca Lake (CSL), the residential summer camp of the Louis S. Wolk JCC of Greater Rochester is seeking a full-time Director who will provide professional leadership, vision, and day-to-day operational management.
Our 200 beautiful, wooded acres in the Finger Lakes region of New York State provide the ideal backdrop for camp. As the premier Jewish overnight camp in Upstate NY, campers participate in a variety of exciting areas, including waterfront (skiing, sailing, wakeboarding and more!), high and low ropes courses, most land sports, overnight hiking, nature, drama, and arts and crafts. CSL offers these activities in a wholesome Jewish camp community full of ruach to promote the physical, social, and emotional development of each of our campers.
Since 1928, CSL has welcomed campers into a safe, compassionate community where each child is encouraged to become their best self. Given the long history, there is an active, passionate, and giving alumni group with significant upside potential.
This past summer, CSL was the home away from home for nearly 300 children (ages 7-16) and has capacity of 250 – 275 campers at any one time. With five year-round staff and approximately 100 seasonal employees, the operating budget is ~$1,500,000. There is an opportunity to expand enrollment as well as to leverage the camp facility during the off season so as to realize revenue growth and make inroads to further achieve our mission.
The Camp Director will bring passion and energy to the role of strategic, inspirational leader of the camp. This individual will have the vision, skills, and experience to lead the organization into its next phase of development, growth, and impact.
The Camp Director reports to the CEO of the JCC and will sit on the management team of the JCC. The Camp Director will live onsite at CSL from June through August.
Leadership and Executive Management
• Lead the design, delivery, and evaluation of strategic camp programs to ensure that they meet the interests of campers/families as well as the JCC’s organizational goals.
• Lead recruitment efforts for overall campership within and outside of the Upstate NY area, including attracting new families for growth and sustainability.
• Set and advance a positive, success-oriented culture within the organization.
• Ensure that the camp’s vision and values are evident and consistent in every aspect of the organization, including its staff and programs.
• Create and maintain a strong Jewish and Israeli educational presence at Camp.
• Contribute to the development of a strategic plan for the future of CSL, in concert with a qualified facilitator, a select committee of volunteers and JCC leadership.
• In partnership with the JCC, oversee and integrate robust outreach strategies, marketing efforts, and programming to raise the visibility and utilization of the camp year-round.
• Serve as the spokesperson for the camp, representing the camp in the local community, and in the larger camping and Jewish communities.
• In concert with the agency’s finance department team, manage fiscal responsibilities to meet JCC budget requirements, using established systems, formats, and processes.
• In partnership with the JCC, oversee the facilities management of all the properties of the camp (including the maintenance/building/replacement of facilities as needed).
• Maintain compliance with licensing requirements and ensure that all local/state health and safety codes are met. Maintain American Camp Association accreditation.
Staff Management and Organizational Culture
• Build and maintain effective and trusting relationships with JCC/CSL staff.
• Create and advance a culture of teamwork, collaboration, accountability, and appreciation.
• Maintain and promote a culture that supports mental health for staff and campers.
• Evaluate/update internal systems and staff infrastructure to drive desired outcomes.
• Provide ongoing supervision, mentoring, and professional development to direct reports.
• Stay current on/integrate trends for Jewish camping, social/emotional development, and social media to guide/maintain relevancy.
Stewardship and Relationship Management
• In partnership with the JCC Development team, help craft and articulate a compelling case to prospective and current donors.
• In concert with the JCC Development team and the CSL Advisory Council, build, steward, and diversify relationships with donors, alumni, potential donors, and future lay leaders.
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. The Camp Director will also perform other reasonable related businesses duties as seen fit and assigned by the President or Board of Directors.
Qualifications & Skills
• Understands how to create a strategic vision to galvanize and inspire excitement.
• Leads with managerial courage.
• Has a deep passion for the Jewish community/Jewish summer camps and can infuse camp with Jewish culture, content, and values.
• Exhibits strong business and financial acumen, with experience leading positive and sustainable operational and cultural change within a complex organization.
• Responds to all stakeholders in a thoughtful, action-oriented, and decisive way.
• Has proven experience managing a similar size budget and a similar size team of staff.
• Engages in difficult conversations with sensitivity, openness, and thoughtfulness.
• Fosters an atmosphere of transparency, cooperation, collaboration, and positivity.
• Demonstrates the highest degree of personal responsibility, accountability, and decision-making capabilities.
• Has strong communication skills, both verbal and written.
The salary range for this position is $125,000 – $150,000 (commensurate with experience). Competitive compensation and benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, and retirement options. Generous vacation package and holiday schedule. Flexible work environment.
This position description is based upon material provided by an equal opportunity employer. They do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. All employment is decided based on qualifications, merit, and business need.
To apply for this position, please click HERE.
Sarah Raful Whinston, Principal
Nina Cogan, Talent Consultant
Merav Schwartz, Senior Associate
Compensation125000 - 150000
How to Apply
Please apply here: https://drgtalent.com/career/camp-director-louis-s-wolk-jcc-of-greater-rochester/?rpid=1011194&postid=RQ9YRnhKVrs&webapp=1
Louis S. Wolk JCC of Greater Rochester
1200 Edgewood Ave, Rochester, NY, 14618, United States