Camp DirectorAt Camp Young Judaea Midwest
About Camp Young Judaea Midwest
Camp Young Judaea Midwest (CYJM) inspires Jewish children of diverse backgrounds to thrive in a joyful, tight-knit community that is passionate about Israel and Judaism. Located in central Wisconsin (with a year-round office in Chicago), CYJM has offered over 50 years of exceptional Jewish overnight camp experiences. At CYJM, we focus on an individualized approach while teaching campers to work in a group setting that fosters mutual respect, friendship, leadership and development. Our pluralistic approach allows campers and staff to learn, grow and play together and to make informed choices about their Judaism and connection to Israel. More information: https://www.cyjmid.org/.
About the Position
Reporting to the CYJM Board of Directors, the Director serves not only as chief executive, but also camper recruiter, fundraiser, and ambassador. They will lead a team of professionals (including 2-3 year-round employees, and a significantly larger team of summer staff) responsible for the care and well-being of our campers and the implementation of Camp’s vision. The Director will guide Camp into its second half-century and will have the opportunity to strengthen CYJM for generations to come.
The Director will be responsible for ensuring a sustainable future for Camp. This will require innovation alongside commitment to the traditions and values that have made CYJM a unique experience for campers representing diverse Jewish backgrounds, from multi-generational CYJM families as well as those new to the CYJM experience. The Director’s dedication will be matched by a collaborative Board of Directors and engaged global alumni network.
People & Operations
● Manage, support, and empower the organization’s year-round team (currently 2-3 FTEs).
● Provide vision for camp operations, staffing recruitment & retention, and outcomes-based programming & evaluation.
● Oversee and implement employment policies for all staff including performance and development, compensation, benefits & compliance, and HR best practices in service of attracting, developing, and retaining great talent.
● Develop and successfully implement Camp’s recruitment and retention plan, focused on US Midwest states and nationally as opportunities allow.
● Develop and implement annual fundraising strategy.
● Build and cultivate donor relationships, and actively seek external funding resources.
● Develop and implement an annual operating budget plus a capital improvement budget consistent with the CYJM’s mission and goals.
Strategy & Planning
● In collaboration with the Board, lead strategic planning to envision and accomplish the organization’s priorities for meeting its goals.
● Proactively identify and implement trends that enable CYJM to evolve and thrive.
● Establish close working relationships with Young Judaea Global, other Young Judaea camp directors, Midwest Jewish camp directors, and stakeholders regionally, nationally and in Israel.
● Develop trusted relationships with parents, alumni,Hadassah leaders and community members.
● Network with and serve as key resource for organizations including Harold Grinspoon Foundation, Foundation for Jewish Camp, local Jewish Federations, etc. to ensure best practices and alignment of broader programmatic experiences.
Requirements● People-Oriented/Charismatic: has a strong track record of hiring, developing, and retaining staff (preferably in the overnight and/or Jewish camp sector). Enables people to do their best work. Loves parents and campers and thrives in the day-to-day intensity of camp each summer! Leads by example (“dugma ishit”). ● Natural Recruiter: motivated to attract both returning and new campers through cultivation of relationships with parents, families, staff, and campers themselves. ● Highly Organized: can effectively manage and grow a multi-million-dollar budget, with complex priorities and accountabilities. ● Visionary: imagines a future for Camp and works with the Board to develop a strategic plan that ensures that future. ● Skillful Fundraiser: understands the connections between gifts from our community and ensuring CYJM’s livelihood. Additional requirements ● Ability to spend ~12 weeks each summer in residence on Wisconsin camp property. ● Can travel occasionally and work some weekends, evening events. ● Employment is contingent upon a safe driving record and successful completion of a background check. ● Must have legal authorization to work in the United States. Compensation/Benefits CYJM offers a salary of $105-120K, depending on qualifications and experience. We offer generous benefits to full-time employees including 100% covered medical insurance, 401(k), cell phone/car mileage allowance, PTO (vacation, sick and major Jewish/US secular holidays), professional development stipend, flexible work hours during the off-season. Role is based in the Chicago area w/ability to work from home. Free camp tuition for eligible-age children and discounted tuition for other Young Judaea programs.
How to ApplyTo Apply: Please send resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Camp Young Judaea Midwest is an Equal Opportunity Employer, values diversity and is committed to being an inclusive environment for all employees. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills, and encourage applications from people of color, LGBTQIA+ individuals and women. All hiring is based on qualifications, merit, and organizational need. If you require assistance due to a disability in the application or recruitment process, or have other questions, please contact email@example.com.
Camp Young Judaea Midwest
60 Revere Dr. Ste 800, Northbrook, IL, 60062, United States