Camper Care CoordinatorAt Mid Island Y
Serving as the primary mental health expert for the Mid-Island Y JCC Camp, this position will provide year-round and on-site expertise to effectively support the mental, social, and emotional needs of campers and staff. This individual should become part of the camp community to be able to provide a depth of resources to impact all staff and campers.
• Provide expertise in the areas of mental, social, and emotional health to campers and staff through new program development, and staff training
• Act as resource for staff, coaching them to troubleshoot solutions for interpersonal struggles
• Participate in pre-camp staff training orientation, and develop and facilitate ongoing staff training opportunities
• Directly communicate to parents, staff, and campers regarding mental, social, and emotional concerns
• Attend weekly planning meeting to collaborate and share information with others supporting community members’ physical and mental wellbeing
• Document potential crisis situations and report to Camp leadership
• Maintain a log to track all interactions with campers and groups as well as discussions with staff
• Submit weekly reports during the summer through a live-tracking portal to support learning about mental health-related trends by camp, region, and field-wide
• Be involved in camp life! Have fun, observe, and interact with staff as an integrated part of the camp community
• Commit to being at camp for the entire summer
You will be overseeing the MESSH (Mental, Emotional, Social, & Spiritual Health) to include 3-4 additional staff members. These will be staff members selected to be Camp Care Counselors in addition to their role at camp.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work:
This is a full-time position with days generally being Monday – Friday. Camp runs from June 27th, 2022, to August 19th, 2022. There is no camp on July 4th. Hours are generally 8:00am-4:30pm.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
RequirementsRequired Education and Experience:
• Hold a graduate-level or higher degree in a mental health field Including, but not limited to social work, mental health counseling, psychology, youth psychiatry, family therapist, etc.
• Have at least 3-5 years of post-graduate work experience in a related field
• Have prior experience working with camp and/or relevant recreation and/or youth work
• Have a significant role in pre-camp staff orientation, ongoing staff training opportunities, and actively participate in camper/staff intake and onboarding prior to the summer, reviewing forms and either lead or be involved in family/parent/staff communication in relation to mental health. This will require the individual to be available prior to the summer with hours negotiated between the camp and individual.
Knowledge and Skills:
• Demonstrated ability to work as a part of team for problem solving in a fast paced/high stress environment.
• Ability to notice details balanced with a sense of a bigger picture.
• Demonstrated knowledge of a myriad of treatment techniques.
• Written and verbal communication and reporting skills.
• An ability to have fun, be playful, and help others find joy!
How to ApplyTo apply email associate camp director Gayle Meigel at firstname.lastname@example.org
Mid Island Y
Camper Care Coordinator
45 Minetto Hill Road, Plainview, NY, 11803, United States