Camper Care SpecialistAt JCamp - Westside Jewish Community Center
Founded in 1954, Westside Jewish Community Center’s (Westside JCC) mission is to build community based on Jewish values by creating opportunities for gathering and learning. Westside JCC reaches out to all Jews and the greater community by offering stimulating and innovative educational, social, cultural, recreational, and communal programs and activities fostering a strong connection to Israel. Westside JCC aspires to offer programming that provides meaning and purpose to Jewish values, and space that creates a sense of belonging for everyone it touches.
Westside JCC serves the Jewish and broader community in our neighborhood and Los Angeles. Our flagship programs are our outstanding Early Childhood Center, our growing year-round day camp program JCamp and our teen leadership and sports programs, Diller Teen Fellows and Maccabi. Other programs include our aquatics center with 2,450 swim lessons weekly, senior wellness programming, parent and me programming, fitness classes, programs for individuals with special needs and youth sports leagues.
The Westside JCC’s “JCamp” offered for ten weeks during the summer of 2021, is all about the camper! Through the combination of weekly specialty options, water activities four days a week, weekly Shabbat celebrations and exposure to a large number of activities, “JCamp” creates a program that provides campers with a high quality, customizable experience. “JCamp” campers develop skills, build friendships and have fun all summer long.
The Camper Care Specialist will report to the Director of Camp and Family Programs. This is a seasonal summer full-time non-exempt position , with part-time hours before summer session begins. The position dates are part-time with meetings and occasional hours from March 1, 2021 to June 4, 2021 and full-time from June 7 to August 22, 2021. During the summer session the position includes occasional evening hours. The ideal candidate is a mental health professional concentrating in children’s behavior and emotional wellbeing. They will be a team player with excellent communication skills, and have experience working with elementary age children, and their families.
The primary responsibilities of the Camper Care Specialist include, but are not limited to:
● Participate in all trainings and meetings prior to the beginning of camp, as required by funders and JCamp.
● Serve as leader in JCamp programs, supporting campers, staff and parents.
● Act as a presence during the camp day by being physically present and involved in daily camp activities to support the daily social and emotional
wellbeing of staff and campers.
● Playing a leadership role in the planning and implementation of Staff
● Creating and implementing programming for small groups of campers focused on wellness and social-emotional learning.
● Creating and implementing programs for staff and parents focused on wellness and social-emotional learning.
● Serving as a resource to campers, staff and parents throughout the summer when dealing with mental, emotional and social health challenges and creating environments where campers can thrive.
● Managing information about camper needs, and communicating those, and to staff. As well as documenting communication and plans within JCamp’s systems.
● Communicating and managing relationships with parents in regards to camper needs.
● Preparing reports to funding agencies in relationship to mental emotional and social health of JCamp and its campers.
● Additional responsibilities as required.
● Competitive rate for the nonprofit camp marketplace, $20.00 to $28.00
● Graduate-level or higher degree in a mental health field. Including, but
not limited to: social work, mental health counseling, psychology, youth
psychiatry, family therapy, etc.
● 3-5 years of post-graduate work experience in a related field.
● Prior camp experience in working with young children.
● Exceptional skill and capacity for engagement and relationship building
with both children and their parents.
● Ability to connect and guide staff.
● Understanding of Jewish concepts and values as they relate to JCamp.
● Proven ability to plan, originate and organize programs.
● Proven ability to provide emotional support to a wide range of ages.
● Strong understanding of strategies to ensure campers of varying needs
can be part of a mainstreamed program.
● Be a leader, self-starter and strong collaborator.
● Ability to accept guidance, constructive feedback and support.
How to Apply
Interested applicants please email your résumé with a cover letter describing your qualifications to email@example.com. Please use “Camper Care
Specialist” as the subject line.
No phone calls please; we will contact qualified candidates to set up interviews. Position will remain open until the staffing need is met and may close without advance notice.
Westside JCC is an equal opportunity employer committed to complying with all applicable laws providing equal employment opportunity and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit. Our policy prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, creed, sex, religion, marital status, veteran status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state or local laws.
To learn more about Westside JCC, find us on the web at westsidejcc.org
JCamp - Westside Jewish Community Center
Camper Care Specialist
5870 W Olympic Blvd, Los Angeles, California, 90036, United States