Director, Day Camp and Youth ServicesAt Mandel Jewish Community Center JDay Camp
Summary: The Director, Day Camps & Children’s Services has oversight for all aspects of operations for Day Camping Services and traditional school year Children’s, Youth and Teen programming. These responsibilities include program development and
implementation, marketing and recruitment, development and supervision of staff, site management, long range strategic planning, financial management, alumni relations, and working in partnership with the Volunteer Leadership.
This position supervises all year round staff and seasonal leadership staff. The Director, Day Camp and Children’s Services is a member of the Mandel JCC’s management team.
Expectations of Employees:
• Support the Mission of the Mandel JCC.
• Ensure the highest quality of programs and services and possess a working knowledge of agency programs and services.
• Represent the agency and provide the highest quality of customer service to the individuals and groups with whom you come into contact.
• Treat fellow staff with respect.
• Wear Mandel JCC Staff ID badge, dress professionally for the position and attend all appropriate staff meetings.
• Camp & Children’s Programs: In partnership with Chief Human Resources Officer, recruit, on-board, and develop staff at all levels to meet highest standards of performance, and assume additional responsibilities as appropriate.
Recruitment and Retention
• Works with Sr. Director Marketing and Communications develop effective, calendared marketing and branding strategies that support recruitment and retention strategies for year round programming.
• Actively engages and manages the staff recruitment through various recruitment strategies including social media, job fairs, international Schlihim program and more.
• Assist in the Cleveland community to meet with potential program participants, parents, and partners in order to build and expand the businesses of Day Camps and Children’s Services.
• Develop a year round newsletter and assists in organizing events throughout the year which will maintain family connections to Day Camps, Children’s services and the Mandel JCC.
• Develop year round programs to provide continuous engagement for youth and their families to remain connected to camp and The J.
• Oversee and develop with leadership a diverse, engaging, and all-encompassing training program for year round as well as summer staff. Ensure all hired staff that come on beyond staff development week receive training prior to work commencing.
• Implements programming for children, parents, and families which will encourage commitment to the year round program experience.
• Ensures development and implementation of innovative and meaningful programming for Day Camps and Children Departments.
• Coordinates and provides daily management of all systems and procedures of registration and camp administration (paperwork, parent communication, carpool, shuttle, registration, payment systems, etc.)
• Ensures consistency in policies and procedures across all program areas.
• Remains on call during the summer when campers are involved in JCC programming.
• Is the liaison between Day Camp & Children’s Services and other JCC departments for schedule coordination and staffing needs.
• Ensures all financial activities meet the guidelines established by the Mandel JCC Fiscal department.
• Working closely with Sr. Director and the Fiscal department, setting goals, developing and administering all budgets.
• Works closely with Sr. Director to monitors revenues and expenses to ensure financial goals are achieved.
• Manages all vendor relationships as requested.
• Advises Mandel JCC management of any significant issues regarding physical plant and changes or additions that are required to attract and retain participants.
Fundraising and Alumni Relations
• Infuses a culture of philanthropy by engaging alumni, past participants and by extension their families in order to expand the donor base.
• Develops a core of camp alumni to create an additional source of revenue for the Camp.
• Engages alumni through use of social media, written communications, programs, and meetings.
Safety & Security
• Prioritizing the safety and security of all staff and participants
• Assess and report any concerns
• Submit all incident reports within 24 hours
• Work with Sr. Leadership and Director of Security on all safety plans.
• Develops appropriate contingency plans for unexpected emergencies including not limited to AQI, health both physical and mental, weather etc.
• Ensures EVAC plan reviewed and updated annually
• Completes other duties as assigned by supervisor.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required:
• Bachelor’s Degree in Education, Social Work, Recreation Sciences, or a related field.
• Five to seven years of camp management and administration experience.
• Strong knowledge of Jewish culture, heritage, and traditions.
• Proficient with Microsoft Office suite.
• Ability to work nights and weekends, flexible scheduling depending on departmental needs.
• Ability to sit or stand for prolonged periods of time.
• Ability to lift up to 50 pounds.
• Experience with Great Plains and Sales Force preferred.
Characteristics, Skills, and Attributes:
• Demonstrate good character and integrity.
• Must have enthusiasm, be adaptable, and possess an excellent work ethic.
• Self-directed with ability to accept guidance.
• Must present a professional image and have excellent communication and presentation skills.
• Ability to develop and sustain a team approach to program and service development.
• Effectively communicate with staff, children, and parents.
• Have the ability to make sound judgments and decisions in a calm manner.
• Demonstrates good critical and creative thinking skills.
• Excellent knowledge of policies, procedures, activities, and programs as they relate to day camping, adventure-based programming, outdoor adventure, leadership development, and community events.
How to Apply
Ready to join our team:
Please apply through our career portal on our website:
Or reach out to human resources directly.
Mandel Jewish Community Center JDay Camp
Director, Day Camp and Youth Services
26001 S Woodland Rd, Beachwood, OH, 44122, United States