Director & Head of EducationAt Ramah Darom
Ramah Darom is celebrating our 25th year in 2021, and we are looking for an innovative, inspiring educator and camp leader to help us reach the next level of growth and impact. As one of the Southeast’s leading Jewish organizations, Ramah Darom serves thousands of people year-round through camp and retreat programs at our gorgeous campus in the North Georgia mountains. This is a unique opportunity to join a thriving organization committed to a culture of collaboration and inclusion, in one of America’s fastest-growing and most vibrant Jewish communities.
Ramah Darom has an opening for a creative, dynamic and experienced Jewish educator with a passion for Jewish camping to be the next Director of Camp Ramah Darom, and to lead development of the overall educational vision for Ramah Darom camp and retreat programs.
Reporting to the CEO, this key leadership role is responsible for the successful management of Ramah Darom‘s summer camp program (approximately 450 campers per session) including programmatic, educational, operational and financial performance, and camper recruitment and retention. Leading a team of year-round camp professionals and over 200 summer staff, the Director collaborates closely with Ramah Darom’s professional team including our Associate Camp Director and Head of Community Care, Director of Business Operations, Director of Marketing, Director of Development and Facility General Manager.
We’re looking for an inspiring leader, collaborative team player and relationship builder; a proven experiential educator who brings extraordinary creativity, energy, experience developing immersive educational programming for youth and who will ensure Camp Ramah Darom continues to innovate. In keeping with Ramah Darom’s mission to provide exceptional Jewish experiences for people of all ages, this role also works directly with the Director of Ramah Darom’s Retreat Center to set an overall educational vision for retreat programs on our campus throughout the year.
The Director works in the Atlanta office from mid-August through mid-May, and is in residence at the Clayton campus during the entire summer season. This role requires regular travel through the Southeast region as a representative of Ramah Darom, and as a member of the Ramah Director cohort additional travel each year within the US and to Israel.
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer, Ramah Darom Supervises (in conjunction with Associate Camp Director):
● Program Coordinator
● Recruitment team
● Rashei Aidah and Rashei Anaf (section & specialty heads)
● 200+ Summer Camp staff
The Associate Camp Director and Head of Community Care reports to the CEO on organization-wide responsibilities. The Director of Ramah Darom’s Retreat Center has a dotted-line reporting relationship to the Camp Director/Head of Education on retreat educational matters.
Oversees the successful management of Camp Ramah Darom
● Leads development of detailed annual programming, educational, operational and financial plans.
● Oversees the hiring, training, supervision and development of year-round camp staff and summer staff.
● Oversees annual camper recruitment and retention program, including travel to communities.
● Plans and directs the operations of the summer camp program. Ensures the health and safety of campers and staff. Ensures timely and appropriate communications with parents. Implements religious and educational policies in coordination with the National Ramah Commission.
● Monitors camper, parent, and staff satisfaction and prepares annual plans to continually improve.
● Develops long-term vision for Camp Ramah Darom, ensuring Camp Ramah Darom is at the leading edge of providing exceptional camper experiences.
Sets the overall educational vision for all Ramah Darom programs, in conjunction with the Retreat Director
● Works directly with the Director of Ramah Darom’s Retreat Center to set an overall educational vision for programs on our campus throughout the year.
● Regularly monitors performance of all programs against the mandate and adjusts as required.
● Ensures Ramah Darom is at the leading edge of providing exceptional, immersive, educational experiences.
Serves as a key leader within Ramah Darom
● Collaborates closely with other Ramah Darom leaders, creating a true sense of team.
● Builds deep relationships with community leaders and families throughout Ramah Darom’s region.
● Participates in the fundraising of Ramah Darom as required.
● Performs other leadership duties as requested by the CEO.
This is a full-time, year-round position based in Atlanta. Start date is flexible. Competitive compensation package includes base salary (between $135,000-$175,000, depending on experience), retirement plan contributions, Jewish day school and camp tuition benefits, medical and vision plan, car allowance and parental leave.
The ideal candidate shall possess the following skills, attributes, training and experience:
● Rabbinic ordination, or Master’s in Jewish education or a directly-related field.
● Demonstrated history of successful achievement in experiential Jewish education.
● Experience in Jewish camping.
● Creative thinker and innovator, with a strong history of leading educational/programmatic innovation.
● Strong leadership experience with proven, exceptional people management. A true collaborator and team player.
● A relationship builder with outstanding interpersonal and communication skills, and the ability to convey enthusiasm and energy and inspire young people.
● Committed to the Ramah approach to informal education. A passion for Torah and the Jewish community. Personally committed to the values and practices of Conservative Judaism. A love of Israel and fluency in Hebrew.
● Strong organizational and administrative skills.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should send cover letters and resumes to Wally Levitt, CEO of Ramah Darom at firstname.lastname@example.org and to Rabbi Mitchell Cohen, Director of the National Ramah Commission, at email@example.com. Applications are due by September 8, 2020 at the latest.
Questions regarding process or eligibility should also be sent to either or both of the above addresses and will be handled with discretion.
Director & Head of Education
6400 Powers Ferry Road NW, Suite 215, Atlanta, GA, 30339, United States