Director of Community CareAt Eden Village West
DIRECTOR OF COMMUNITY CARE
Eden Village West is hiring a full-time Director of Community Care! This is an incredible opportunity to join the leadership team of a growing camp with a big heart and a bright vision, and to become an influential voice in steering the future of our organization.
About Eden Village West
Eden Village West is an organic farm-to-table Jewish sleep-way camp located on 350 acres along the Russian River in Sonoma County, California. We offer a 6-week overnight summer program for rising 2nd-11th graders as well as other farm programming throughout the spring and fall. Our campers have the time of their lives while exploring a vibrant food culture and deepening their appreciation for the natural systems that sustain us. The Eden Village West experience includes organic farming, culinary arts, outdoor adventure, wilderness skills, herbalism, DIY projects, art, music, and more. Campers emerge from these immersive experiences empowered to promote a more environmentally sustainable, socially just and spiritually connected world. Rooted in a culture of radical kindness, each camper develops leadership skills, explores new passions, and awakens their sense of purpose and joy. Eden Village West welcomed 87 campers in our inaugural summer in 2018 and grew to 230 campers in Summer 2021.
At Eden Village West, our team works hard, plays hard, and also rests hard! We value our people for their full selves, in addition to what they bring to their work, and aspire to cultivate a team culture that allows for a wide range of self-expression. We value all that people are willing to contribute to help build our community.
The Director of Community Care is focused on building strong relationships with camp families and supporting the mental, emotional, social, and spiritual health of our campers and staff. This person will supervise our summer Camper Care and Health Center teams. This position reports to the Camp Director, works closely with all members of the full-time team during the year, and is a member of camp’s summer leadership team.
Cultivate and maintain relationships with camp families that are rooted in excellent communication, trust, and partnership
Manage camper intake, reviewing registration forms and building relationships within the EVW community
In collaboration with camp staff, families, and other necessary parties, work before summer to create plans to support individual camper needs during the camp season
Recruit, train and supervise the summer Camper Care team
Support organizational development / fundraising efforts through relationship building with camp families and community members
Represent Eden Village West at community events and other camp recruitment opportunities
Manage year-round communications with camp families
Summer – Key Responsibilities Con’t
Supervise and empower summer Camper Care team
Manage summer Camper Care team as they support counselors and campers with a variety of issues related to social, emotional, and mental health, safety and well-being including but not limited to anxiety, behavior management, interpersonal disputes, homesickness, hygiene, and diagnosed disorders
Serve as the lead professional in determining appropriate responses to the more significant camper and staff mental health and safety issues that arise
Supervise and support our team of nurses to ensure that best practices and policies are being followed and that excellent care is being provided in the health center
Communicate and partner regularly with parents to share camp updates and seek advice and perspective that will help our staff best support the mental, social, and emotional health of our campers
Lead the visioning and design process for the Camper Care track of our pre-camp staff orientation and facilitate key training sessions for staff
Provide ongoing support and training to staff throughout the summer to respond to campers behavioral, emotional, and mental health needs
Eden Village West has a small year-round and summer staff. This position requires flexibility, a willingness to learn new skills and take on responsibilities outside the Director of Community Care immediate job description when needed.
Compensation$60000 - $80000
RequirementsQualified candidates will demonstrate most of the following:
- Passionate about our mission; desire to grow an organization rooted in camp’s values
- People skills to establish strong relationships with parents, campers, and staff, foster community and a sense of shared purpose and meaning, and create and maintain collaborative relationships with community partners
- Possess excellent written and verbal communication skills and comfort in communicating with children, young adults and parents
- Experience with children, teenagers, and adult mental, social, and emotional health
- Attention to detail in documentation and maintaining records
- Proven ability to effectively train, lead and manage staff
- A track record of sound judgment and effective problem solving in a fast-paced environment
- Willingness to take on additional roles and responsibilities to accomplish a goal
- Desire and capacity to cultivate a pluralistic, inclusive and kind Jewish community
- Desire to grow together with the organization over time
- Kind, enthusiastic, excited to try new things, generous, willing to be silly, flexible, creative, caring, and able to maintain a positive team attitude throughout a full work day
- Master’s Degree in Social Work, Counseling, Psychology, Mental Health or similar fields strongly preferred
- Previous experiences in a camp, school or similar environment is preferred
- We prefer candidates to be local to the SF Bay Area or Philadelphia and, therefore, in close proximity to our East Coast or West Coast teams. That said, much of the work can be done remotely September – May and we are open to receiving applications from candidates residing beyond the Bay Area or Philadelphia.
This position must be in residence at Camp in Healdsburg, CA throughout our summer season (early June – early August)
Compensation & Benefits
Annual salary range of $60,000 – $80,000 depending on experience and location
Benefits package including generous paid time off, federal and Jewish holidays, health benefits bonus and health spending account, parental leave, yearly professional development funds, flexible schedule, and work-from-home option
As an essential member of our growing team, you will have plentiful leadership opportunities and the support of colleagues invested in your growth and development
Hiring Process & Timeline
We will review applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled
We hope to have the selected candidate begin by April 1st, 2022
Start Date: April 1st, 2022
How to ApplyPlease send your resume, two references, and a note to Casey at email@example.com with the subject “Director of Community Care – YOUR NAME”. Tell us why Eden Village West of all places is so interesting to you, your experience, and share about your passions. We will also accept video cover letters, if that’s more your thing.
At Eden Village West, we know that diversity supports resilience. On our farm, in our gardens, and throughout the natural world, diversity is what allows every living thing to thrive. Eden Village West approaches all that we do, including hiring, with this mindset.
Eden Village West recognizes the internal and external biases that often prevent or delay candidates holding marginalized identities from applying for positions. We deeply value the insight, perspective & experience brought by people from diverse backgrounds, including Black, Indigenous, Latine and Asian people; LGBTQ and gender non-conforming people; people with disabilities; Black Jews, Jews of Color, Sephardi and Mizrahi Jews. We also welcome applications from people of diverse religious, spiritual, and cultural backgrounds.
We encourage all who are interested in making the magic of Eden Village West come to life to apply.
Eden Village West
Director of Community Care
Rio Linda Ave, Healdsburg, CA, 95448, United States