Director of ProgrammingAt Beth Tfiloh Congregation
About Beth Tfiloh Congregation
Beth Tfiloh celebrates the joy and love of Judaism within a caring community that strives to nurture every Jewish soul and embrace Jews from all levels of observance. Serving as a vibrant hub of the Baltimore Jewish Community, Beth Tfiloh has a rich offering of religious services, classes and year-round Jewish programming for children, families, young adults and seniors.
Beth Tfiloh Congregation is the largest Modern Orthodox synagogue in America, with more than 1,300 households representing a wide range of religious observance. The dynamic rabbis and world-class chazzan lead inspiring religious services, officiate at life cycle events and provide ongoing adult education classes through Mercaz Dahan Center for Jewish Life and Learning. An extensive calendar of youth and family programs are offered through the Youth Center.
Beth Tfiloh’s camp is one of the area’s most popular summer day camps, with a top-rated aquatics program on its own 40-acre campsite.
Centrally located in Baltimore County, the Congregation’s extensive religious facilities and banquet halls are among the most popular Kosher catering venues in the Baltimore metropolitan area.
Beth Tfiloh Congregation is connected to Beth Tfiloh Dahan Community School, a Jewish, co-educational college preparatory school; its purpose is to educate Jewish students from preschool through high school. The student body is diverse, including families with varying religious, economic, cultural, and social backgrounds. Beth Tfiloh Dahan Community School has been and continues to be unique in philosophy and curriculum, stressing the values and traditions of the rich Judaic heritage and American democratic ideals, while preparing students to meet local and global challenges of contemporary society.
Beth Tfiloh Congregation has an annual operating budget of approximately $6M, an institutional annual fundraising campaign of $2M, and is currently governed by two lay leadership governing boards, Officers of the Congregation and Officers of the Board of Directors. Beth Tfiloh Congregation has a staff of 20 including a Clergy Team of Rabbis and a Cantor, a Ritual Director, Director of Programming, Beth Tfiloh Camp Director, and an Administrative team.
For more information on Beth Tfiloh Congregation, go to https://www.bethtfiloh.com/.
Reporting to the Director of Shul Operations, the Director of Programming has the primary responsibility for leading and providing on-going programming in the shul. The Director of Programming has an externally facing role managing relationships in the community with all stakeholders, from youth to teens to adults.
The Director of Programming works closely with Beth Tfiloh‘s clergy, staff and lay leaders to create and implement a wide variety of vibrant and engaging programs and experiences for members and the community as a whole. The Director oversees communications in support of those programs, and in marketing to and for the congregation.
As a member of the Beth Tfiloh staff, the Director of Programming is also charged with working cross collaboratively with other members of the clergy, lay leaders and staff in addition to any community wide programs with Beth Tfiloh Dahan Community School.
• Partner with the Senior Rabbi to create programmatic vision with goals and objectives to engage the numerous stakeholders that belong to the shul.
• Treat all members of the congregation and staff with respect, warmth, empathy and kindness.
• Lead the development and implementation of meaningful programming (i.e. Shabbat, social action, and holiday, etc.) for children, teens, adults and families.
• Plans and creates ongoing program content.
• Modifies existing and develops new and develops new programming as needed (e.g. coronavirus).
• Supervises staff focused on youth, family, adult and congregational programming.
• Provide leadership to the staff team so they can identify specific program ideas, develop a program calendar, work with the marketing department to create publicity, recruit the necessary help and participants, assist in program execution, and facilitate program reviews.
• Identify, pursue, and/or represent Beth Tfiloh for partnered and collaborative programs with Beth Tfiloh Dahan Community School.
• Work with marketing department and camp staff to market synagogue’s programming to synagogue and wider community
• Communicate with parents, synagogue board, and other stakeholders about Beth Tfiloh’s programming
• Work in conjunction with Mercaz Dahan Center for Jewish Life & Learning (adult education and learning opportunities)
• Evaluates the effectiveness of programs and service activities provided (ex: surveying families periodically)
RequirementsQualifications and Experiences
• Must be a dynamic and motivating leader with strong planning and creative skills.
• Ability to multi-task combined with excellent organizational ability is needed to successfully handle multiple programs and engagement opportunities simultaneously.
• Strong problem-solving skills with the ability to foresee and correct problems before they happen is required.
• Passion and commitment to Jewish values, rituals, customs, holiday practices and a caring community.
• Self-starter, takes initiative, ability to work independently with minimum direction.
• Ability to build, engage and inspire cohesive teams.
• Must have a high degree of schedule flexibility with the ability to work nights and weekends and be onsite for Shabbat and Holidays as needed.
• Grace and professionalism in working with and facilitating collaboration across a wide range of stakeholders including Boards, volunteers, clergy, staff and congregants.
This position description is based upon material provided by Beth Tfiloh, an equal opportunity employer.
Sarah Raful Whinston, Senior Search Consultant
Sarah Skrovan, Associate
How to ApplyTo apply to this position please visit www.DRGsearch.com
Beth Tfiloh Congregation
Director of Programming
3300 Old Court Rd, Baltimore, MD, 21208, United States