EKC – Senior Program DirectorAt JCC of Greater Pittsburgh - Emma Kaufmann Camp
Responsible for the continued program development and creation of aspirational arcs for the summer camp program, across both activity areas and camper units, while ensuring that all programming is consistent with camp’s mission and strategic goals. This position also oversees the facility rental program, from arranging tours, negotiating contracts, and serving as the primary onsite point of contact throughout the rental season.
Maintains residency at Emma Kaufmann Camp in Morgantown West Virginia, during the summer months and whenever rental programs or groups are at Camp.
RequirementsPRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Leads the process to design aspirational arcs across all camper age groups, including in living units, which represent best practices in the camping industry.
• Supervises all components of the summer program, including scheduled camper activities, special events, out of camp trips, and unit-specific programming.
• Assists and supports all summer Head Staff with implementing aspirational arcs in program areas and living units throughout Camp.
• In summer, supervises all program area leaders, known as “Supervisors.”
• Leads a formal evaluation process for all seasonal programs, gathering feedback from campers, staff, and parents.
• Implements all programmatic action items in EKC’s Strategic Plan.
• Develops systems to monitor and maintain high-quality, creative programming at Camp.
• Partners with EKC full-time staff to plan, support, and lead components of staff training, prior to summer.
• Collaborates with the EKC senior administrative team to develop and execute a comprehensive program calendar for each summer, including cabin-based activities.
• Oversees, manages, and maintains the master camp calendar.
• In collaboration with the EKC senior administrative team, organizes and plans for the pre- and post-camp setup and breakdown/cleanup.
• Partners with the Assistant Camp Director in the hiring of rental staff and summer Camp staff, including Head Staff, Specialists, and Counselors, as well as planning off-season Camp staff recruiting events across EKC’s geographic markets.
• Serves as the primary facilitator of all non-summer programs.
• Assists the EKC Director in rental bookings and schedules, while being the primary point of contact between rental groups and EKC.
• Works with the EKC Director to expand and grow rental opportunities at Camp.
• Has the ability to become lifeguard and ropes course/zip line certified and a ski boat driver in support of EKC’s lake programming.
• Attends a variety of professional development events, which could include, but are not limited to JCCA National and Regional meetings, FJC Leaders Assembly, JCamp 180 and ACA Tri-State annual conferences.
• Works collaboratively with the EKC full-time team with other year-round camp work as needed.
• Ability to define problems, develop solutions, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
• Works effectively with other key JCC departments to provide effective & efficient service delivery.
• Ensures compliance with all state, federal and local regulating agencies.
• Maintains a safe and healthy environment according to established standards.
• Maintains effective working relationships with parents and staff.
• Maintains a high degree of organization and attention to details.
• Ability to manage and balance a variety of responsibilities in a fast-paced environment under tight time constraints.
• Ensures adherence to agency core values of respect, kindness, character and community within both staff culture and program development.
• Generates necessary reports and documentation as needed and/or required.
• Actively promotes and maintains agency customer service standards.
• Actively maintains and promotes EKC’s core values.
• Capacity to work with a broad range of people.
• Team player, yet ability to work independently.
• Adheres to Jewish Community Center policies and procedures.
• Actively supports and participates in continuous intra-departmental and agency-wide quality improvement processes. “Everyone, Every Day, Closer to Better.”
• Recognizes that the JCC of Greater Pittsburgh gathers individuals representing diverse backgrounds, beliefs and practices.
• Creates a warm and welcoming environment within the agency.
• Possesses a working knowledge of Jewish traditions, practices and culture.
• Ability to communicate verbally and in writing.
• Ability to operate personal computers (hardware and software).
• Ability to work evenings, weekends and holidays, as required.
• Ability to travel, as needed.
• Ability to perform other related duties, as needed and/or required.
(These responsibilities are not to be construed as a complete statement of all duties performed.)
Directly supervises and hires seasonal leadership staff and may supervise part-time employees during non-summer months.
Supervision from the Assistant Camp Director
Bachelor’s degree in education, recreation, hospitality, Jewish studies or social work is preferred.
While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand and walk. Occasionally he/she is required to sit. The employee is frequently required to lift up to 25 pounds and occasionally required to lift up to 40 pounds. The vision requirements include: close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. During the summer months the employee is frequently outdoors in a nature type setting.
PA Criminal History Clearance
PA Child Abuse Clearance
PA Mandated Reporter Training
First Aid/CPR Certification
Equal Opportunity Employer
Our JCC Staff Family has proudly risen to provide a safe workplace by mandating Vaccinations, Mask Wearing, Social Distancing and Elevated Sanitation standards to ensure the ongoing safety of our staff, our members and guests, and the community at large.
How to ApplySend resume and cover letter to email@example.com or mail to:
JCC of Greater Pittsburgh
Attn: Human Resources
5738 Forbes Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15217
Apply online at jccpgh.org
JCC of Greater Pittsburgh - Emma Kaufmann Camp
EKC – Senior Program Director
5738 Forbes Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA, 15217, United States