Executive DirectorAt Main Line Reform Temple
About Main Line Reform Temple
Main Line Reform Temple Beth Elohim (MLRT) is a vibrant Reform Jewish community of 800+ member units whose vision is “Be Inspired. Be Connected. Belong.” MLRT strives to be a place of sacred encounters where learning, prayer and deeds change people’s understanding of themselves, of their world and their responsibilities in it. At MLRT, the creation of an inclusive and welcoming community is both an enduring value and an ongoing endeavor. For MLRT, community means a sense of warm welcome, meaningful relationships, and mutual responsibility.
MLRT has a long history of being a “lay led” congregation committed to a participatory, egalitarian and democratic process, both in ritual practice and governance. Members come from all walks of life and from many different religious backgrounds and ethnicities. Coming from all ages and backgrounds—as singles and marrieds, with or without children, as blended families, as interfaith families, as LGBTQ, and as people with special needs—members comprise an eclectic, diverse and welcoming community, united by common goals, extraordinary vision and unwavering faith. MLRT’s programs are designed to meet the diverse spiritual, religious, educational, and social needs of all members.
Main Line Reform Temple serves more than 700+ member units, has 27 staff (not including teachers), raised $155,000 last year and has an operating budget of over $4.5M (2019).
For more information about MLRT, go to www.mlrt.org.
The MLRT Executive Director should be a strong, collaborative leader who can work in partnership with the Clergy and Staff and the lay leadership to craft a vision and then lead MLRT staff and volunteers as they strive to make that vision a reality. The Executive Director is responsible for building relationships with members, staff, and volunteers; effective communications; outstanding executive function and organizational practices; a passion for serving the Jewish community; and a commitment to helping members feel welcome and connected in every interaction with the congregation.
The MLRT Executive Director reports to the Temple President and is a member of the Senior Staff that includes the Senior Rabbi, Rabbi, Cantor, Director of Education, Director of Early Childhood Education, and Director of Youth Engagement.
The MLRT Executive Director should demonstrate the core competencies of leadership, organization, collaboration, initiative, strategic thinking, imagination, clear communication, good listening, confidence and compassion.
– Responsible for the smooth administrative, day- to- day, functioning of the Temple, in compliance with Temple policies/procedures and all applicable laws.
– Hire, train, supervise and evaluates all administrative, program and facilities personnel.
– Work closely with staff to ensure the office and facilities are always friendly and welcoming to members and visitors and that administrative, program, and facilities needs are met.
– Responsible for management of employee benefit programs, risk management, and all contractual agreements.
– Collaborate with the Senior Rabbi to supervise and support other members of the Senior Staff.
– Be a “public face” of MLRT in the community, both locally and nationally.
Lay Leadership Development
– Serve as a resource to the Board of Trustees, implement the Board’s decisions, effectively communicate with Board members and volunteers.
– Work with the Temple President, Clergy, senior staff and the Leadership – Development Committee to identify, engage and cultivate lay leaders within the congregation.
Finance and Budget
– Supervise development of Annual Budget in collaboration with Board of Directors and in coordination with the Controller and monitor implementation of approved budget during the course of the year.
– Monitor financial performance monthly in relation to the budget and cash flow and advise the Board appropriately.
– Manage the day to day financial operations including the production of monthly financial management reports, management of Temple funds and assets, and work with MLRT’s accounting firm for the preparation and review of accurate annual financial statements.
Fundraising and Development
– Supervise and oversee development and fundraising initiatives, including cultivation of donors, solicitation and stewardship of the Annual Fund and the L’dor Va’Dor Endowment, donations to various funds, and nurturing a culture of philanthropy within the congregation.
– Develop fundraising opportunities and strategies including support for the development of the plan for the transition to a culture of philanthropy.
Facilities and Security
– Ensures exceptional cleanliness, maintenance, and timely repair of MLRT facilities – the physical space in which the community worships, engages, learns, and celebrates together.
– Responsible for implementation and supervision of security for MLRT including the emergency management plan, physical security improvements to our facilities, and management of security processes and personnel.
– Maintain religious and ritual articles in good condition and repair.
– Supervise the Membership Engagement and Programs Manager and lead the Engagement/Membership/Program teams for member recruitment, retention, financial support, maintenance of records and reporting, and for the creation and implementation of programs to engage members from all demographics.
– Analyze membership data and trends and report regularly to Board.
– Work with the Clergy, Staff, and lay leadership to create and maintain an atmosphere of warmth, inclusion and engagement, nurturing relationships with current members as well as prospective inquiries.
Marketing & Communication
– Supervise the Director of Marketing to effectively communicate with membership and the surrounding community. Manage marketing, public relations, and community relations.
– Responsible for the creation and distribution of print and electronic materials.
– Utilize the MLRT website and social media as effective tools for communications with the community at-large.
– Oversee the leadership of the Director of Education, the Director of Early Childhood Education, and the Director of Youth Engagement.
– Supervise the Directors and their budgets.
– Collaborate with the Senior Rabbi to work with the Directors to discuss day to day issues, solve problems, and plan educational programs.
This position description is based upon material provided by Main Line Reform Temple, an equal opportunity employer.
Sarah Raful Whinston, Search Consultant
Debra Katz, Senior Associate
RequirementsQualifications: - Experience supervising and motivating a cohesive team and reinforcing a shared vision of goals and objectives. - Aptitude for managing multiple projects with competing deadlines. - Strong foundation in fiscal management, including budget development, allocation and distribution of resources, strategic vision and long-range planning. - Comfort in high-pressure situations. - Proven record of successfully building trusted relationships with a variety of constituencies and stakeholders. - Demonstrated track record of visionary leadership, strategic direction, effecting change and taking risks in medium to large-sized organizations - Experience working collaboratively with a Board of Directors and partnering with a diverse staff leadership team. - Ability and willingness to take an active leadership role in congregational life including attendance at Shabbat services, holiday/festival services, and congregational activities. - Demonstrated expertise and competence in finance and budgeting, recordkeeping, payroll administration and preparation of annual budgets and ongoing reports. -Excellent oral and written communication skills. - Knowledge of and experience with development and fundraising is a plus. - Familiarity with current trends and developments in Jewish communal life and knowledge of and respect for the practices and tenets of Reform Judaism. - Understanding of marketing, branding and how to implement strategies to increase awareness and relationships - Unquestioned ethics and integrity and a commitment to serving others
How to ApplyTo apply for this position please visit www.DRGsearch.com
Main Line Reform Temple
275 Madison Avenue, Suite 1203, New York, NY, 10016, United States