Executive DirectorAt Habonim Dror Camp Moshava
Habonim Dror Camp Moshava
DC Metro Area
About Habonim Dror Camp Moshava
Habonim Dror Camp Moshava has been operating in Maryland for the last 85 years and runs a sleepaway summer camp as well as two year-round programs for children aged 8-18. Camp Moshava is dedicated to youth leadership, inclusion, values-based experiential education, and educating towards a just future in the United States and Israel. Camp Moshava is one of six summer camps of Habonim Dror North America, a Labor Zionist youth movement with a long history of promoting progressive Jewish values.
Camp Moshava seeks a dedicated and collaborative executive director to lead, manage, and grow the organization. This highly visible and hands-on director reports to the Board of Directors, manages a professional staff of four people, and is responsible for overseeing the daily operations of summer camp from early June through mid-August each year. The Executive Director collaborates with and is supported by the Assistant Director. This position offers a unique opportunity to lead a community of critical thinkers and budding Jewish social justice leaders who are dedicated to the success of the organization by a commitment to collective responsibility.
This position is currently being done remotely but when it becomes possible, will be based in Rockville, MD from September to May. During our summer season, the position requires full-time presence at Camp Moshava in Street, MD.
The Executive Director is chiefly focused on the following responsibilities:
Management and Administration
– Provide leadership, management, and training for staff and volunteers
– Recruit, select, supervise, and evaluate the year-round paid staff
– Recruit, select, supervise, and evaluate the summer paid staff, including the Head of Camp, the nurses, kitchen manager, driver, and lifeguards/pool staff
– Collect and analyze data to improve programs and meet changing needs of campers
– Provide direction and manage the day-to-day details of running the organization year-round
– Oversee the maintenance of databases of campers, parents, and alumni
– Oversee the development and maintenance of the camp website
– Monitor camp budget, produce monthly financial reports, and ensure effective audit trails
– Maintain compliance with American Camping Association (ACA) member standards, zoning boards, and other relevant regulatory agencies
– Work closely with Board of Directors to develop fundraising and resource development strategies
– Oversee the daily operations of the camp, including health, safety, inventory, ordering
– Act as a sounding board to youth leadership and staff, providing guidance and direction, when appropriate
– Work closely with melavah (inclusion coordinator), inclusion specialists, and counselors to monitor and manage behavioral, emotional, and disciplinary issues
– Work with camp leadership to ensure responsible fiscal management of program budget
In collaboration with the Head of Camp and Board, set and enforce health and safety policy
– Manage youth leadership dealing with behind-the-scenes activities (food, maintenance, vehicles, supplies etc.)
– With Assistant Director, in charge of technical staff: Nurses, kitchen, driver, maintenance
– Work with parents and Board of Directors
– Meet daily with youth leadership of camp – know everything (relevant) that is happening at camp
– Meet weekly with Head of Camp prior to summer and regularly during summer – in tune with the summer staff happenings
– Help Technical Director manage program budget and ordering – aware of what is being purchased, what is needed around camp for work, projects, etc.
– Enable youth leadership to do their jobs while being on top of all technical aspects of machaneh
– Jump into action when any crises or challenges arise
– Provide staff support to the Board chair in planning the agenda and preparing materials for board meetings
– Act as liaison between the board of directors and staff, communicating the vision and the strategic goals of the Board
– Work with the board to raise funds
– Attend board meetings
– Initiate and assist in developing policy recommendations and priorities for Camp Moshava
– Assist in promoting Camp Moshava
– Respond to parents’ concerns
– Participate in Jewish community camping organizations, such as Habonim Dror Camping Association, Foundation for Jewish Camping, Harold Grinspoon Foundation/JCamp 180
– Develop effective relationships in the community with relevant professional organizations, business leaders, Jewish organizations, potential funders, camp constituents and foster collaboration to serve our mission
– Oversee the development and implementation of the camp’s public relations plan
Compensation: $65,000-$85,000 commensurate with experience.
Benefits: Health, dental, and vision insurance coverage, retirement match, flex time, generous paid leave and sick days, tuition for camp-age children.
People of color, Sephardic and Mizrahi Jews, Queer and/or trans people, people with disabilities, and immigrants are all welcome and encouraged to apply. Habonim Dror Camp Moshava is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
We encourage those who are unsure if they meet the job requirements but are excited about being Camp Moshava’s next Executive Director to apply. The hiring committee will consider candidates with non-traditional experience.
How to Apply
To apply please submit your cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the subject “Executive Director.” Applications received on or before Wednesday, November 17th, 2021 will receive priority. All applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Habonim Dror Camp Moshava
6101 Executive Blvd Suite 319, Rockville, MD, 20852, United States