Senior Jewish EducatorAt Foundation for Jewish Camp
FJC is seeking a Senior Jewish Educator (SJE) to be an inspiring educational leader for FJC’s staff and the field of Jewish camp and a thought leader in the larger Jewish community. Specifically, this position will provide insight and direction for a portfolio of educational initiatives to attract, educate, and engage families with young children. As such, the SJE is both a program manager and an individual who works collaboratively with the program staff to design and deliver excellent and relevant training for the field as well as serve as a thought partner for internal staff. This individual will understand the landscape of modern Jewish families and work to ensure FJC’s program offerings meet their needs with a profound commitment to inclusivity, pluralism, and curiosity about the expression of Jewish life. The position requires flexibility as FJC’s work and projects continue to evolve.
As a member of the Jewish educational team at FJC, the SJE will develop new initiatives and resources to ensure that FJC is working toward its strategic plan of ensuring that the magic of camp is felt year-round and lifelong. This individual will also have the opportunity to work externally with our strategic partners throughout the Jewish community to imagine new initiatives and deepen relationships. This position reports to the Vice President, Innovation & Education.
JFAM: Jewish Family Camp:
* Collaborate with Senior Program Manager of JFAM, FJC’s family camp initiative, to develop curriculum for a cohort of camps that are incubating family camp programs
* Work with JFAM participating camps and partner organizations on Jewish rituals and experiences, focusing heavily on take-home Jewish experiences for families with young children
* Provide coaching, advising, and mentoring for camp professionals working on family education for JFAM camps
Jewish Day Camp Initiatives:
* Lead Jewish education for Common Ground, a CIT training program for New York Area Jewish Day Camps
* Infuse FJC’s day camp initiatives with Jewish values and learning, helping the field to realize the potential of Jewish impact in our day camps
* Coach day camp professionals on the skills necessary to navigate Jewish education in a multicultural and religiously diverse space
* Collaborate with program team on leadership trainings and educational programs to ensure that content is high quality, mission-aligned, and in conversation with Jewish text and tradition
* Partner with VP of Innovation and Education to amplify Jewish and Israel education throughout the field of Jewish camp in the summer, year-round, and life-long
* Work with individual camps to align Jewish values in their programs and develop and curate training modules and other materials (print and online), as needed, to support individual camps and the wider camping field
* Contribute to articles, blogs, and grant proposals related to Jewish education and the impact of camp on families
* Provide support regarding educational theory, practice, and research for the field
* Provide textual, spiritual, and/or experiential learning opportunities and support to camps and FJC staff members, as needed
* Support diverse religious needs (including prayer) at FJC functions
Additional responsibilities, as determined by the Vice President, Innovation and Education.
RequirementsThe ideal candidate for this position will bring a deep passion for building welcoming, vibrant, and deeply enriching communities that give voice to the diversity of expression of Jewish life.
* Minimum of ten years of relevant professional experience in the creation and delivery of excellent informal/experiential Jewish educational programming, education, or equivalent coursework required
* Demonstrated experience and success in working with families with young children
* Experience and familiarity with various modalities of Jewish learning, identity development, leadership training, curriculum development, and current trends and research in family education required
* Entrepreneurial spirit and robust understanding of and vision for Jewish education preferred
* Jewish day and/or family camp experience preferred
* Connection to Israel and fluency in Hebrew preferred
* Willing to travel approximately 10% of the time
QUALITIES WE’RE LOOKING FOR
FJC’s work is guided by six values: agility, community-mindedness, excellence, imagination, joy, and social responsibility. We encourage candidates who see themselves in our values to apply to join our team.
* You are a creative and inspiring Jewish educator who is at home in Jewish content and contexts, ranging from traditional Jewish texts to contemporary Jewish/Israeli wisdom and culture.
* You have an accessible and authentic personality. You model your curiosity for learning and are a passionate and compelling teacher.
* You are self-motivated with excellent organizational, project, and time management skills. You can prioritize a diverse and demanding workload, set attainable expectations, and follow through.
* You have clear written and oral communication skills.
* You have a positive attitude and approach your work with curiosity, humor, and a growth mindset.
* You enjoy working in a collaborative team environment and have excellent interpersonal skills.
* You are self-aware and understand that everyone has strengths and limitations.
* You speak up when you need additional support and react with empathy when others do the same.
How to ApplyFor more details about the job and link to apply, visit the URL listed in this post. We look forward to hearing from you!
Foundation for Jewish Camp
Senior Jewish Educator
253 W 35th Street, 4th Floor, New York, NY, 10001, United States